Excavations on the site started in 1902, at the same time with those
at Phaistos, and ended up in 1914. By the end of the 20th century the
Italian Archaeological School repeated the surveys; excavations restarted
and continue up to now.
The main part of the Villa is covered to protect the monument and restoration
works of the whole site have been carried out.
The Minoan Royal villa was build during the New Palace period; although
smaller than the palaces of Cnossos or Phaistos, it has all the features
of Minoan architecture. It is a two-aisled, gamma-shaped building with
"polythyra" (pier-and-door partition), skylight wells bringing light
in the appartments, sactuaries, store rooms, treasuries, workshops, galleries
yards and terraces; most of the places are stone paved. A lot of artefacts
and other finds are housed in the Museums of the prefecture.
The so-called "Agora" and the settlement are situated at the Norteastern
part of the Minoan villa. Both are dated to the Mycenean period (after
1450 b.C.). Eight big rooms are visible behind the arcade of the "Agora,
whereas the ruins of the Mycenean settlement are situated at the West
of the arcade.
Of the same period as "agora" is the Mycenean "megaron", built upon
the store rooms of the Minoan Royal Villa.
The cemetery of Aghia Triada comprises two Early Minoan (3000-2300 b.C.)vaulted
tombs, with complexes of funerary chambers; there are also chamber tombs
of Late Minoan period (14th century b. C.) with burials within clay sarcophagus;
one of the most important finds here is a stone sarcophagus, better known
as "the wall painted sarcophagus".