The Didaktirion of Ano Archanes is an excellent
sample of the architecture current in Crete during the period of the
Cretan State, that is to say in early 19th century. Destinated to house
a school, the building had been designed in 1901 by the Greek architect
Salveros, who had come in Crete accompanying prince George when the latter
was nominated for High Commissioner of the Cretan State.
The construction was achieved thanks to the donations of rich Greek-americans
who came from the village. It is is a greek p-shaped building with two
storeys and basement, all stone made with wooden roof covered with tiles.
Architecturally the building is a very good combination of neoclassic
features with monumental volume, giving the impression of harmony.
The building has always been used as a school except for the period of
German domination, when it housed a german division. During the last decade
of the 20th century it has been attentively restored and now this extraordinary
building houses the two elementary schools of Ano Archanes.