Greekislands.com - Greekhotel.com
www.TravelAgenciesinGreece.com | Travel Agencies in Greece www.ConferenceHotelsinGreece.com | Conference Hotels in Greece www.WinterHolidaysinGreece.com | Winter Holidays in Greece
Advertising Info
Hotel & Travel Guide for your holidays in Lassithi-Crete. The site where Hotel Owners and Agents in Lassithi meet their Guests!
Greece » Crete » Lassithi Prefecture » Lassithi Sightseeing » Islet of Spinalonga
Greek version availableEnglish version available
Lasithi Crete island Lassithi Hotels
Lasithi Crete island Lassithi Rooms
Lasithi Crete island Lassithi Studios
Lasithi Crete island Lassithi Suites
Lasithi Crete island Lassithi Apartments
Lasithi Crete island Lassithi Villas
Lasithi Crete island Lassithi Family Rooms
Lasithi Crete island Lassithi Bungalows
Lasithi Crete island Lassithi Car Rantal
Lassithi on Google Maps
Lassithi Detailed Map
Why Lassithi?
About Lassithi
Lassithi Villages
Lassithi Beaches
Lassithi Photo Gallery
Lassithi Panoramas
Lassithi Slide Show
Lassithi Wallpapers
Lassithi Sightseeing
 Lassithi Video Clip
 Lassithi PDF guide: En | Gr
Lassithi Virtual Tour
Hotels in Lassithi by area: 
 
Lassithi info by area: 
Back to Lassithi sightseeing

Islet of Spinalonga

Spinalonga, or Calydona as its official name is, is an islet almost closing the bay of Elounda; in antiquity there was a fort there, constructed by the Olounites. The actual name is Italian and means “long spine”; from here comes the former name of the island, called Makrakanthi for some period of time.

After Constatinopolis was conquered by the Francs of the 4 th Crusade, in 1204, Spinalonga, along with the rest of Crete was given to Bonifatius of Monferrat; this latter sold the island to the Venetians who took possession of the island in 1211 and kept it until 1715. The Venetians fortified the islet during 1571-1574.

Click on any image to enlarge
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

The fort was very strong and had storerooms, water tanks and several buildings. Venetians kept possessing it, as it also happened with the forts of Gramvousa and Souda, even after the conquest of Crete by the Ottomans in 1669. During this period, Spinalonga was a safe refuge for the Greek population persecuted by the Ottomans.

In 1715, following the Treaty between Ottomans and Venetians, the islet passed to the Ottoman domination and, during the last years of it, was considered as a safe place of residence for Ottoman families.

When Crete was declared autonomous in 1898, the Cretan State converted it to leper house, initially only of Crete and later of entire Greece. Before the World War II, the islet housed more than 300 people suffering from leprosy, within the hospital of Aghios Panteleimon. The hospital stopped working and the islet totally abandoned in the 1960s’.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Near the fortress the visitor may see the three-aisled Basilica of Aghios Panteleimon, celebrated on the 27th of July.

Recently, several restoration works have been done to some of the buildings by the 13 th Ephorate of Byzantine monuments.

Access to the islet is possible in summer by excursion boats departing from Aghios Nicolaos, Elounda and Plaka.
Back to Crete island   Greekislands.com Home Page   View hotels in: