Greekislands.com - Greekhotel.com
www.rentacaringreece.com | Drive your way through Greece www.EcotourisminGreece.com | Ecotourism in Greece www.TravelAgenciesinGreece.com | Travel Agencies in Greece
Advertising Info
Hotel & Travel Guide for your holidays in Paros-Greece. The site where Hotel Owners and Agents in Paros meet their Guests!
Greece » Cyclades islands » Paros island » Paros Sightseeing » The ancient quarries at Marathi
Greek version availableEnglish version available
Mykonos island Paros Hotels
Mykonos island Paros Rooms
Mykonos island Paros Suites
Mykonos island Paros Studios
Mykonos island Paros Apartments
Mykonos island Paros Villas
mykonos hotel
mykonos island
Mykonos island Paros Junior Suites
Mykonos island Paros Family Rooms
Mykonos island Paros Honeymoon
Mykonos island Paros Maisonettes
Mykonos island Paros Bungalows
mykonos hotel
mykonos island
Paros on Google Maps
Paros Detailed Map
Paros Travel Agencies
Why Paros?
About Paros
Paros Villages
Paros Beaches
Paros Photo Gallery
Paros Panoramas
Paros Slide Show
Paros Wallpapers
Paros Sightseeing
 Paros Video Clip
 Paros PDF guide: En | Gr
Paros Virtual Tour
Hotels in Paros by area: 
 
Paros info by area: 
Back to Paros sightseeing

The ancient quarries at Marathi

At the site of Marathi, some 5 kilometers northeastern to Paroikia, the visitor may see the ancient quarries of the “Parian stone”. Big galleries, some 200 meters long, go deep in the soil and have three entrances. At the left side of the southern entrance there is a nice Hellenistic bas-relief with interesting carving and a partly preserved inscription. The sculpture is dedicated to the Nymphs, who were worshipped here; hence, the name “Quarry of the Nymphs”. There are also preserved several construction as support columns, staircases, retaining walls and a considerable number of pieces of marble.

Click on any image to enlarge
click to enlarge   click to enlarge   click to enlarge   click to enlarge   click to enlarge

During the Byzantine times the extraction stopped, as art followed a different direction and the marble was not used too much. Later on, during the domination of the Francs and mainly in the period of Somaripa, the trade of marble flourished again. The precious material was exported in several places of the Mediterranean and above all in Venice.

After the liberation of the island from the Ottoman yoke the quarries knew a new period of flourishing. During 1844-1877 the exploitation of the quarries was in the hands of the French Company of Marble, whereas from 1878 and for three years it passed to the hands of a Belgians company. New establishments were built; a railway was constructed to transport the marble to the port of Paroikia, even special coins were issued by the company for the internal exchanges. After the company collapsed, the quarry passed to the hands of a Greek company, which continued to operate it for a few years. Today, the extraction has been reduced and the small amounts of marble extracted come from other smaller quarries of the island. The ancient quarry has been transformed to a monument of industrial archaeology and it is open to public.
Back to Paros island   Greekislands.com Home Page   View hotels in: