The buildings of the Storehouses had been constructed in the period 1834-1839 with public funds, following the designs of the Bavarian architect Erlacher and supervised by the Bavarian architect Wilhelm von Weiler. It is a long series of a two-wing building developed along the coastline. The total length of the construction is 122 meters and comprises 14 separate storehouses. The initial building had a long gallery with wide arches at the front, so that the ships unload their content; today, this feature does not exist.
The storehouses where covered with cylindrical vaults of excellent work, made of small bricks and worked stones. The entrance of the storehouses was at the gallery; at the back the building had large arched windows. The first floor of the central part of the building was constructed a few years later along with the Customs’ house in 1859 – 1861.
During the period between the two world wars the Storehouses had ceased to serve the purposes for which they had been constructed. Ever since, the modifications that have been made in order to house various public services have not affected the appearance and the architecture of the building.
In 1994 four of the storehouses of the southern wing have been renovated and modified in order to become suitable to serve as the Art Gallery of Cyclades, which ever since houses various temporary exhibitions and the permanent art collections of the island.