Greekislands.com - Greekhotel.com
www.EcotourisminGreece.com | Ecotourism in Greece www.ConferenceHotelsinGreece.com | Conference Hotels in Greece www.WinterHolidaysinGreece.com | Winter Holidays in Greece
Advertising Info
Hotel & Travel Guide for your holidays in Kos-Greece. The site where Hotel Owners and Agents in Kos meet their Guests!
Greece » Dodecanese islands » Kos island » Kos Sightseeing
Greek version availableEnglish version available
Kos Hotels
Kos Apartments
Kos Studios
Kos Suites
Kos Rooms
Kos Bungalows
Kos on Google Maps
Kos Detailed Map
Why Kos?
About Kos
Kos History
Kos Villages
Kos Beaches
Kos Photo Gallery
Kos Panoramas
Kos Slide Show
Kos Wallpapers
Kos Sightseeing
Kos Video Clip
 Kos PDF guide: En | Gr
Kos Virtual Tour
Hotels in Kos by area: 
 
Kos info by area: 

Kos Sightseeing

Nature - Natural Sightseeing
Hippocrates’ plane tree
Just in front of the main gate of the Knights’ Castle, there is an imposing huge plane tree. This perennial tree, «the plane tree of Hippocrates» as the locals call it, is of a perimeter of more than 10 meters. As expected, it has been linked to several legends and stories, where reality is blended with fantasy and myth. As the tree is of an age higher than 1000 years, it is possible that, as locals say, it is here that Apostle Paul had preached Christianity, in the mid 1st century A.D.

View on Map
click to enlarge

Churches and Monasteries
The Early Christian Basilicas of Agios Stefanos
The early Christian Basilicas at the beach of Agios Stefanos, within Kefalos bay, at a distance of 40 kilometers southeastern to the town of Kos, are dated in the 5th or 6th century, with more recent additions. They are two of them, the southern and the northern ones. more...

View on Map
click to enlarge
Church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos (St. John the Baptist)
The holy church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos, often called “Epta Vimata” (the “seven steps/conchs”) is dedicated to St. John the Baptist and situated at the South of the town of Kos, within the cemetery of the town. The view of the old church among the tall, green cypress trees is very nice and good for taking photos. more...

View on Map
click to enlarge

Castles
The Neratzia Castle, or Castle of Kos
At the entrance of the port of Kos it is situated the so-called «Kastro tis Neratzias» (Neratzia Castle). The place in ancient times was a small islet, connected with the island of Kos by a bridge, the one seen today at Phoinikon Street.
In the 14th century A.D., in the period of sultan Bayazit I, when the raids of the Ottomans on the island had already been dangerous enough, the Knights of the Order of St. John who dominated the island, decided to construct the castle in order to assure the effective defense of the town and the island. more...

View on Map
click to enlarge

Recent Monuments
The building of the Synagogue and the Jewish Community of Kos
According to the writer Josephus, a flourishing Jewish community existed in Kos, since the period of the Second Temple. Relative evidence is also found in the book of Maccabees (142 b.C.). When the Knights of St. John conquered Kos, they dispersed the Jewish community and kicked them out, but the Jews came back to the island a few centuries later, in 1522 when Kos was conquered by the Ottomans. more...

View on Map
click to enlarge

Archaeological sites and Monuments
The Altar of Dionysus
Situated at small distance from the Agora and the port of the ancient city of Kos, the Altar of Dionysus is a good example of a Π-shaped altar of the Hellenistic period. The part preserved is dated in the 2nd century b.C., a period of flourishing for Kos, as it is evidenced by numerous architectural remains. more...

View on Map
click to enlarge
The Odeon of Kos
The Odeon of Kos covers the space southern to the ancient ruins, western to the restored Roman House (Casa Romana) and it is situated close to the ancient theater, at the northwest. According to the inscriptions found on the site, the actually preserved building was constructed on the place of an older public building, probably the Bouleuterion of the ancient demos.
more...

View on Map
click to enlarge
The «Asklepieion»
Asklepieion is the most well known ancient monument of the island. It is situated at a distance of 3,5 kilometers southwestern to the town of Kos, in the area of Panaghia of Tarsos or Alsos. The monument was built on a hillside overlooking the area, with an excellent view of the sea below and of the opposite coasts of Asia Minor. more...

View on Map
click to enlarge
Ancient Agora of Kos
The area of the archaeological site of ancient agora is successive to the port of Kos and is situated at the eastern end of the island.
After the ancient city of Kos had been established as the administrative center in 366 b.C., several public buildings and sanctuaries were constructed at the area both of the Agora and of the ancient port. more...

View on Map
click to enlarge

Museums and Galleries
Archaeological Museum of Kos
The Archaeological Museum of Kos is housed in a nice two-storey building with three entrances topped by arches. Several sculptures from the excavations carried out by Italians after the strong earthquake of 1933 are displayed in three rooms surrounding the atrium, which is decorated with the excellent mosaic presenting the arrival of Aesculapius at Kos. more...

View on Map
click to enlarge
Back to Kos island   Greekislands.com Home Page   View hotels in: