Greekislands.com - Greekhotel.com
Greece holiday, Greece accommodation, Villa greece and Greek island cruise
Advertising Info
Hotel & Travel Guide for your holidays in Rhodes-Greece. The site where Hotel Owners and Agents in Rhodes meet their Guests!
Greece » Dodecanese islands » Rhodes island » Rhodes Sightseeing » Hotel Complex Elaphos and Elaphina
Greek version availableEnglish version available
Rhodes Rhodes Hotels
Rhodes Rhodes Villas
Rhodes Rhodes Apartments
Rhodes Rhodes Studios
Rhodes Rhodes Suites
Rhodes Rhodes Family Rooms
Rhodes on Google Maps
Rhodes Detailed Map
Rhodes Car Rental
Rhodes Travel Agencies
Why Rhodes?
About Rhodes
Rhodes History
Rhodes Villages
Rhodes Beaches
Rhodes Photo Gallery
Rhodes Panoramas
Rhodes Slide Show
Rhodes Wallpapers
Rhodes Sightseeing
 Rhodes PDF guide: En | Gr
Rhodes Video Clip
Rhodes Virtual Tour
Hotels in Rhodes by area: 
 
Rhodes info by area: 
Archangelos on Google Maps
View Archangelos on Map
Archangelos Village
Archangelos Sightseeing
Archangelos Panoramas
Archangelos Slide Show

Hotel Complex Elaphos and Elaphina at Profetes Elias

“Elaphos” (deer) and “Elaphina” (doe) are two beautiful statues, decorating the mouth of the port of the town of Rhodes. There are the characteristic element of the town and possibly are found at the same place where, in the Hellenistic period, had been erected the statue of the Colossus.

It is after the twin statues that has been named the complex of hotels situated at the mountainside of Profetes Elias Mountain, close to the homonymous Byzantine monastery, near the village of Archangelos, some 25 kilometers southern to the town of Rhodes. The complex is made up of two separate buildings. The first, “Elaphos”, is a three-storey building with a basement while the second, “Elaphina”, has two storeys and a basement.
Click on any image to enlarge
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

The complex was built from 1929 to 1932, during the Italian domination, within an area of luxuriant green and follows a mixed system of masonry, with the walls built of stone, the frame made of reinforced concrete and high pitched wooden roofs. The window frames and the large balconies and verandas are also made of wood.

The first building, constructed in 1929, was that of “Elaphos”; in 1930 a ground floor restaurant with a large veranda, a tennis court and a dancing floor were added and in the next year it was constructed the second floor, replacing the veranda. In 1932 a second wing was constructed beside the first one and was given the name “Elaphina”. Ever since, the complex is known with the somehow peculiar name of “Elaphos and Elaphina”. It is believed that the Italians gave this name to the complex, to remind the species of the native wild deer living in the nearby wood, one of the few species of deer still surviving in Europe.

click to enlarge   click to enlarge   click to enlarge   click to enlarge   click to enlarge

Once established, the complex was in use as a hotel during the rest of the Italian domination. After the World War II, it had been abandoned for many years, but a few years ago it has been restored and renovated and is again in use as a hotel. It attracts many people wishing to spend a week-end or a couple of days within a historic building and a fascinating natural environment.

Back to Rhodes island   Greekislands.com Home Page   View hotels in: